► A continuing resolution (CR) will keep the federal government funded at current levels through December 11, maintainingfunding for Department of State educational and cultural exchange programs at the current FY15 level of $589.9 million. The CR was passed by Congress and signed by President Obama on Wednesday, September 30.
► First Lady Michelle Obama called young Americans “the best ambassadors that we have” in her remarks at the panda-naming ceremony at the National Zoo last week.
► International student enrollment at U.S. graduate schools continues to rise, increasing by 11.2 per cent, according to a recent report from the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS).
► President Obama and Chinese President Xi announced the “One Million Strong” initiative, which aims to have one million American students studying Mandarin by 2020.
► Local News Stories of the week:
- Trading places: Fukushima student exchange goes beyond radiation research (Colorado State Source, Colorado)
- Illini students are first to announce NCAA football games in Chinese (Chicago Tribune, Illinois)
- Flower Mound couple hosts exchange students (The Cross Timbers Gazette, Texas)
- Year abroad holds Ger-many memories; Bergman student recounts foreign exchange experience (Harrison Daily Times, Arkansas)
- Alba exchange students experience Southern Oregon culture (The Washington Times, Oregon)
Find all Local News Stories here.