The Intern Program, a category of the U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program, brings foreign university students or recent graduates to the United States to bridge the gap between formal education and practical work experience. The students participate in internship programs with host organizations for a duration of 3 weeks up to 12 months. The program is intended to enable participants to return home to utilize their enhanced professional skills to advance their careers, and to share their experiences and increased understanding of the U.S.
See more information on the Internship Program on the Department of State website.
Many Alliance members also facilitate outbound intern/work exchange programs of varying lengths to allow Americans to gain professional experience abroad, as well as in-depth exposure to a foreign culture and society.
The following Alliance member organizations sponsor internship programs:
- AIESEC United States
- Alliance Abroad Group (AAG)
- American Hospitality Academy
- American Immigration Council
- American-Scandinavian Foundation
- Amity Institute
- ASSE International Student Exchange Programs
- CCI Greenheart
- CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange
- Communicating for Agriculture
- Council for Global Immigration [formerly American Council on International Personnel (ACIP)]
- Council on International Programs USA (CIPUSA)
- Cultural Exchange Network (CENET)
- Cultural Homestay International (CHI)
- Cultural Vistas
- French-American Chamber of Commerce (FACC)
- German American Chamber of Commerce California (GACC CA)
- German American Chamber of Commerce New York (GACC NY)
- InterExchange Career Training USA
- International Culture & Career Exchange (ICCE)
- International Cultural Exchange Organization (ICEO)
- Intrax Cultural Exchange
- Mountbatten Institute
- Mountbatten Internship Programme
- Odyssey International Exchange
- Spirit Cultural Exchange
- The Ohio Program (TOP)
- World Wide Cultural Exchanges, Inc.
A list of all inbound internship sponsors designated by the Department of State can be found on the Department’s website.