McCarry Leadership AwardSupporting Emerging Leaders in the Exchange Community
As the international education and exchange field continues to evolve, championing emerging leaders in the field who reflect the rich diversity of the United States is essential for its continued advancement and success. The McCarry Leadership Award facilitates the professional development of emerging leaders in the U.S. exchange community by acknowledging their contributions to the field thus far and creating new opportunities for awardees to gain leadership experience and build relationships.
The award recognizes former Alliance Executive Director Michael McCarry’s commitment to opening doors for young professionals in the field of international education and exchange. Throughout his career, Michael has advocated for emerging leaders, providing opportunities to develop critical skills, cultivate relationships, and advance in their careers. By identifying and celebrating individuals who demonstrate leadership potential and commitment to the field each year, the Alliance continues Michael’s commitment to cultivating the next generation of international education and exchange leaders.
Stay tuned for more information about the 2024 McCarry Leadership Award cycle!
- Jaime Fahy, Managing Director, One To World
- Adrienne Jacobs, Senior Program Officer, IREX
- Trevor Phipps, Overseas Partner Account Manager, Alliance Abroad
- Tanya Burovtseva, External Engagement Manager, InterExchange
- Jennifer Chen, Digital Program Specialist, World Learning
- Kate Sanders, Program Officer, Meridian International Center
- Mallory Carpentier, Regional Coordinator, GeoVisions
- Molly McCarthy, Manager, CIEE
- Mandy Sheriff, Manager, AFS-USA
- Leslie Corn, Senior Director, Cultural Exchange Network Corporation (CENET)
- Leslie Costa, CEO & Founder, The International Student Company
- Janice Fox, Northeast Regional Account Manager, Intrax Work Travel
- Lisa George, Manager of Latin American Youth Programs, World Learning
- Elizabeth Azeizat, AIFS – Au Pair in America
- Alison Gold, Spirit Cultural Exchange
- Megan Lysaght, American Councils for International Education
Michael McCarry led the Alliance as its Executive Director from October 1994 until December 2015. Prior to joining the Alliance, he spent 18 years with the U.S. Information Agency (USIA) as a Foreign Service Officer. He served as U.S. Cultural Attaché in Beijing in the years immediately following the Tiananmen Square events of 1989. He led negotiations that resulted in the restoration of the Fulbright program after its suspension by the Chinese government. He also served as director of USIS Chiang Mai, Thailand, and as Assistant Cultural Attaché in Bangkok. Michael also had several Washington assignments, including ECA Staff Director and Chief of Advising and Student Services. Prior to joining the Foreign Service, Michael worked as a legislative and press aide for Rep. Robert McClory (R-IL), and as a journalist in Illinois and Texas. He grew up in the Chicago area.