The Assistant Director and Head of Advocacy and Government Relations plays a critical role in the Alliance’s advocacy and government relations work on behalf of the U.S. international exchange community, as well as in the development and management of member services. The Assistant Director develops strategies for Congressional advocacy and maintains a wide range of Capitol Hill and federal agency contacts to encourage policies and legislation favorable to international education and exchange. The position further monitors, analyzes, and reports legislative and executive developments and plays a core role in the Alliance’s policy development. As the second-ranking member of a small staff, the Assistant Director plays a key leadership role in Alliance strategy, Board of Directors relations, member engagement, and the general management of the association.
Government Relations/Legislative Advocacy
- Maintains a key focus on advancing Alliance federal legislative priorities.
- Develops and maintains relationships on Capitol Hill, with members on key committees and subcommittees, and in districts and states with strong connections to international education and exchange.
- Develops strategic approaches to address legislative issues that impact the international education and exchange community and works with Alliance membership in federal and local grassroots advocacy campaigns.
Member Services and Representation
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with the Alliance membership and provides member services on a broad range of issues and concerns.
- Acts as a key Alliance representative with Alliance committees and working groups, and as speaker at a variety of industry conferences.
Executive Branch Relations
- Develops and maintains relationships with federal agencies such as Department of State, Department of Education, OMB, and others as needed.
- Develops strategic approaches to address regulatory and programmatic issues that impact the international education and exchange community and Alliance membership.
- Plays crucial role in strategizing, crafting, and advancing the Alliance’s policy agenda and objectives.
- Develops and implements policy initiatives to help advance the Alliance’s mission and respond to arising threats to the exchange community.
Events Development and Management
- Supports organization of core Alliance events, most notably the Annual Conference and the Advocacy Day fly-in event.
- Helps develop strategy and content for other events and workshops.
Board of Directors Relations
- Supports the Alliance Board of Directors in its governance role.
- Assists in keeping the Board fully informed of internal conditions and important external developments.
- Seven years of advocacy, government relations, legislative, and/or association/coalition management experience
- Experience with international education and exchange programs or related international affairs issues
- Strong writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, creativity, and an ability to move seamlessly between team- and self-directed work
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in international affairs, public policy, or a related field is a plus
The position must be based in the DC-metro area. Some domestic/international travel is required. The Alliance offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package and a flexible, hybrid work schedule.
Submit your application and salary requirement (cover letter and resume in one PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.