Buy American, Hire American (BAHA) Executive Order Resources
On April 18, 2017, President Trump signed a “Buy American, Hire American” Executive Order (EO), which focused primarily on strengthening the “Buy American” policies of the U.S. government and reforming the H-1B skilled worker visa program. The Administration made it clear that they envisioned the EO as part of a larger immigration reform effort. As a result, multiple sources are reporting that senior Administration staff intend to significantly cut J-1 visas as a part of BAHA EO implementation, despite it never specifically mentioning J-1 visa programs.
However, Congress is sending strong signals regarding its willingness to protect these valuable international exchange programs through initiatives in both the Senate and the House. These measures include a Senate Appropriations Committee directive in the form of a Fiscal Year 2018 Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs appropriations bill amendment [Sec. 7034(d)(5)] and House Resolution 529. Bothhave strong bipartisan support in their respective chambers.
- Buy American, Hire American (BAHA) Executive Order
- BAHA Fact Sheet
- H.Res.529: J-1 visa programs are vital to the economy and national interests of the United States
- 1,200+ Veterans Take Aim at Budget Cuts for State in a letter to Congress
- Associations letter to the Honorable Rex Tillerson
- Associations letter to the Honorable Wilbur Ross
- Jon Tester letter to Honorable Rex Tillerson
- State of Maryland: Governor Larry Hogan letter
- State of Maine: Governor Paul R. LePage letter
- State of New Hampshire: Governor Christopher T. Sununu
- State of Nevada: Governor Brian Sandoval
- EurekaFacts Summer Work Travel Report